My mother in-law makes this wonderful Gumbo every time we go visit her.
This time I actually got the recipe and plan to make this part of our monthly menu.
This Gumbo is lightweight, but really flavorful and super easy to make. By now, you should know that is the only type of recipe I like enough to post here. Mom life is already hectic enough, so fool-proof recipes that I can batch freeze and reheats well are my jam.
I’ve had Gumbo in different restaurants in the past, and haven’t been a fan of it. Either because it was too spicy, too gooey, or it just something didn’t do it for me.
But this recipe is absolutely delicious, so even if you haven’t liked Gumbo in the past, you need to try this one.
And if you like okra, you will love this recipe. I don’t particularly care for it, so I plan to leave it out, but have included in the recipe ingredient down below in case you like it.
Also, if you like it spicy, you might want to add a can of Rotel or fresh diced Jalapeños. And if the gumbo is too thick for you, you can add some water or tomato juice.
This recipe also re-heats really well, so if you want to save some time, double the recipe and freeze it for a night where you need something quick out of the freezer.
And don’t forget to pair this delicious Gumbo with crackers or cornbread! Yum!
If you are looking for other easy recipes, check out one of these as well:
Best Gumbo Recipe
- 1 cup green bell pepper
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup celery
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 pkg frozen okra optional
- 2 cans black eye peas with jalapeño peppers
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 pkg Polish sausage
- 12 oz tomato juice
- water or broth to thin the gumbo optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the green peppers, onion and celery into small pieces. Cut the Polish sausage into bite size slices.
- Sauté bell pepper, onion and celery.
- Add remaining ingredients, mix well and cook until boiling. Once it boils, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add water or broth to thin it if the gumbo is too thick for you. It should have a soup like consistency, but not too much liquid.