Following up my last post and video on my experience at Click Away, here are 10 Tips for Beginners attending the conference. These are tips I learned before, during and after the event and wish I had known ahead of time.
In 2018, the conference is in Florida and although I have no idea if I will be able to attend, I am certainly looking forward to. It would be amazing to be on the beach in February, right?
Click Away: 10 Tips for Beginners
- Buy tickets early – the tickets start several months in advance and the earlier you book, the better the discounts you get. In addition, you can pick the classes you want as the most popular instructors sell out fast.
- Buy the best package you can afford – if you are going to travel to Click Away, you should get the most of the value of the highest priced ticket.
- Stalk the instructors – most instructors will have a link to their business’ website or social media in the class link. Check their work out before signing up to make sure you like their style. Many will also send you communication ahead and after classes so it is nice to get to know who they are before the class.
- Build-in downtime into your schedule – since the schedule is so flexible and the options are many, it’s easy to overbook yourself during the 2.5 days of Click Away, but I wish I had built more downtime between sessions. I looked like a mad woman running from session to session at 8 months pregnant.
- Submit pictures to Voice Gallery contest – there are many categories available and some truly talented photographers that attend Click Away. If you make the finals, your picture gets printed in a professional board-backed picture and you get to take it home. Sweet right?
- Take advantage of equipment loans, camera cleaning and vendor discounts – I mentioned this on the previous post, but one of the best perks is the equipment loans available at Click Away. Try out equipment at no cost for up to 24 hrs. It’s a great way to try that lens you’ve been wondering about or that camera body you’ve been drooling for.
- Wear comfortable shoes – depending on your schedule, some sessions are outside and require some travel on foot. Wear comfortable shoes for a more enjoyable weekend.
- Don’t be afraid to go alone – going to an event by yourself is a little scary, but if that is holding you back from signing up, don’t be afraid. All the attendees I met at Click Away were super nice and open. They shared information about their businesses and photo best practices freely and were super friendly.
- Stay a little longer at the host location – since you are paying for airfare, hotel and meals, you might as well stay a little longer and make it a mini-vacation. The hubby came along with me for this trip and we turned it into our last baby moon. We rented a car and drove to the Olympic National Park and spent a couple days in Seattle sightseeing.
- Take advantage of offers and join the community – after you sign up for Click Away, you will receive e-mail offers until the conference. There were some great perks available to attendees that I received by e-mail, so take advantage of them. These offers include free classes, free printing, free camera cleaning and etc. Another great way to stay informed is to join the Facebook group. You can learn a lot from other participants, about gear, classes, instructors, locations and etc… You can even buy a last minute ticket or get a roommate for the conference. In addition, it’s a great place to meet other attendees before you go.
Are you looking to improve your photography? I would love to know what you would like to learn and how you plan to do it, so please leave a comment below.