This website contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and participant in other programs, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Lately with all the pregnancy cravings, I have been dying for a fruity, light, sweet but savory dessert, which is hard to find around our surburban neighborhood. We are in desperate need of a local, seasonal, small owned restaurant around these parts!
If you are wondering why I go out for desserts instead of baking, the answer is simple: it helps me avoid the temptation of a home baked dessert sitting at the counter and staring at me all day. Both the hubby and I have sweet teeth and desserts don’t last long in our household.
But as they say, desperate times call for desperate measures and with the shortage of good dessert options in a 10 mile radius, I took to my pantry to play Iron Chef with the ingredients I had on hand. What came out is a Ginger Peach Pecan Galette that surpassed even my own expectations. Since it was a successful experiment, I just had to share and actually write this one down for a change!
Now, just a disclaimer for my foodie peeps out there, I went for fast and easy, which means I used store bought dough and ingredients. The only ingredients that were really fresh were the peaches. Therefore this recipe is homemade, but not made from scratch.
If, on the other hand, that doesn’t bother you, give this recipe a try! The prep time is virtually zero and the cook time is around 15-20 mins. In less than 30 mins, you can be having this delectable dessert!
I also made a sugar-free version with different ingredients that I will post soon for my friends trying to control their blood sugar.
Oh, one last disclaimer. I am a not a precise baker/cook. I usually follow a recipe very loosely or make up my own, so some of my instructions will not be precise. Sometimes an experiment ends up in glory and sometimes it ends in disaster, but I think this one is pretty fool proof!
Ginger Peach Pecan Galette
1 Store bought pastry pie dough- I used the Immaculate brand found at Whole Foods
3 Large peaches
1/2 of jar of Mackays Ginger Preserve
1 Egg white
1 tbsp of unsalted butter cut into small cubes
Handful of chopped pecans
- Preheat oven according to directions on pastry dough box. I preheated mine to 400 F.
- Bring the dough to room temperature while you rinse and cut the peaches into thin slices. Once the dough is malleable, place it on a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spread desired amount of ginger preserve on top of the dough, leaving about one inch around the border.
- Sprinkle the pecans on top of the preserve. How much you use it’s up to your personal taste. I love pecans so I used quite a bit.
- Arrange the sliced peaches on top of the preserve. It doesn’t need to be perfect, but if you want it to look good, start on the outside and overlap the slices in circles until you reach the middle.
- Brush the egg whites on the border of the crust and gently fold it inwards towards the peaches.
- Brush more egg white on the outside for a golden crust. Sprinkle sugar on top for sweetness and crustiness (Optional). Place the butter on top of peaches in random order.
- Bake until golden. My oven runs hot and I bake at high altitude so it took about 15 mins. It may take shorter or longer for you.
- Let it cool and serve with vanilla ice cream or by itself.
I hope you give this Ginger Peach Pecan Galette recipe a try and if you do, please let me know if you enjoyed it!