A homemade burrito bowl is a great way to use leftovers and meal prep for the week. Use steak, chicken, shrimp, turkey or roasted veggies to give this recipe new life.
If you are looking for an easy dinner recipe to get ready in under 30 minutes and use up your protein leftovers, this burrito bowl is what you need.
I recently posted a recipe for delicious Carne Asada and I like to use the leftovers to make homemade burrito bowls. You can use Carnitas, Barbacoa, chicken, shrimp or any other protein as a substitute for steak.
The benefit of using this recipe in combination with the other recipes listed above is that the ingredients are similar, which reduces waste and saves you some money. Win-win!
Recipe Substitutions And Tips
This homemade recipe is so versatile that you can make to fit your taste and lifestyle. Here are some suggestions:
Grains: instead of white rice, you can opt for brown rice, quinoa, farro or barley.
Keto or low carb: replace the rice, corn and beans for for cauliflower rice and non-starchy vegetables. Salad base is also a great substitution.
Protein: burrito bowls really work with any type of protein and even all vegetarian (sweet potato gives it a nice touch). Just make sure it’s seasoned with Mexican or Tex-Mex spices.
And if you are using leftovers, you can whip out this dinner in under 30 minutes. Just heat up the cooked items and assemble.
If you are making it from scratch, I suggest grilling the meat and using canned beans and frozen rice for shortcuts to decrease cooking time.
Homemade Burrito Bowl
- 2-3 cups steak, chicken, pork, shrimp, or vegetables
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups cooked beans drained (black or pinto)
- 2 cups corn
- 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, cotija or mexican work best)
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1/2 red onion diced small
- 1 lime quartered
- 1/2 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1-2 avocados diced (optional)
- lettuce (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- Warm up all cooked ingredients.
- In a bowl place ingredients side by side or layer starting with rice, beans and meat.
- Top bowl with your favorite toppings.
If you like this recipe, you might want to check out these as well:
- Carne Asada Recipe
- Slow Cooker Carnitas
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa
- The Best Guacamole Recipe
- Easy Instant Pot Black Beans
- Black Bean Dip
- Chicken Tinga
What recipe should I make next?