This Baked Salmon with Honey Ginger Wasabi Glaze is an easy recipe that is ready in under 30 minutes. Pair it with the Chinese Cucumber Salad and you have an amazing meal!
I recently realized that ever since going on a keto/low carb diet I have been neglecting my seafood and prioritizing heavier proteins. But with Spring here and the days getting warmer, my body is also switching from craving comfort foods to craving fresh and lighter recipes.
That is where this honey ginger wasabi Salmon recipe comes in! In under 30 minutes, this easy main dish was ready for comsumption and a big hit with the family.
Recipe Substitutions for Baked Salmon with Honey Ginger Wasabi Glaze
Can Wasabi paste be used instead of powder?
Sure can. Wasabi paste is wasabi powder mixed with water, so it’s basically the same thing. The key here is to taste the marinade to see if you added enough for your preference.
The advantage of using powder is that it lasts longer than paste once opened and doesn’t need to be refrigerated.
Where can I find wasabi powder?
Most grocery stores carry it either in the spice/baking aisle or in the International food aisle. Click on the link to buy wasabi powder online.
Can I use ginger powder instead of fresh ginger root?
I’ve tried and it doesn’t quite taste the same. If you don’t use ginger on a regular basis a good alternative is to buy ginger paste in a tube and refrigerate it for whenever you need it. It’s fresh ginger already grated and will last longer than fresh ginger root.
I am cutting down on sugars, can I skip the honey?
You can, but the marinade/glaze will not taste the same. For an alternative to honey, consider a sweetener like stevia .
I don’t eat the Salmon skin so why leave it on?
You don’t have to, but if you never tried crispy salmon skin, you might want to. It is very tasty. But it has to be crispy, hence why use the broiler and bake it skin side up. There are additional dishes where you can utilize the Salmon skin as well such as on top on white rice or in a sushi roll.
Baked Salmon with Honey Ginger Wasabi Glaze
- 1.5 lbs salmon
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp wasabi powder
- Preheat oven at 400F.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl or dish and marinade salmon for at least 20 mins in the fridge.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and place salmon skin side down. Save marinade.
- Bake it for 10 mins and flip salmon. Brush more marinade on the salmon. Return salmon to the oven for another 5-10 minutes until preferred temperature.
- Turn on the broiler for 1-2 minutes to crisp skin.
- Microwave remaining marinade for 1 to 1:30 minutes on high. Careful to not burn it. This will be glaze that can be used on top of salmon.
What recipe should I make next?
If you enjoyed this Baked Salmon with Honey Ginger Wasabi Glaze recipe, you might also want to check out these other easy recipes:
- 23 Easy Meal Ideas for Dinner
- Cheesy Polenta and Shrimp
- Cajun Shrimp and Sausage
- Best Tuna Salad
- How to Cook Ribs in The Oven
- Grilled Salmon on Cedar Plank
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and participant in other affiliate programs, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Recipe written March 2019. Updated