This Low Carb Chocolate Delight is super easy to make in just under 30 minutes and tastes as indulgent as the real thing! Perfect if you are trying to cut down on carbs.
As a pre-diabetic who has a sweet tooth, I am always on a quest to manage my blood sugar.
To still enjoy the recipes I used to eat before my diagnosis, I need to be creative and transform recipes to cut down on the carbs.
The most challenging dishes to transform are usually desserts. Most recipes are packed with sugar or flour. These days there are many keto desserts available, but most don’t taste like the real thing. And in my mind, if I can’t have the real thing, then what’s the point?
So you can imagine my delight when a few years back I tried to transform this popular dessert into a low carb alternative with great success!!
Not only does it taste amazing, it also much lower in carbs.
I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy and this dessert satisfied my cravings without a spike in blood sugar and also without the guilt.
What’s even better? It’s done in under 30 minutes and ready to eat.
Tips to Make Your Low Carb Chocolate Delight a Success
This recipe uses almond meal for the crust and may crumble when you try to spread the cream cheese layer on. I’ve had success in avoiding this, by spoon dropping the mixture on the crust and then gently smoothing it from the top. Avoid pulling up while you are smoothing this layer down. But if you get a few crumbles, don’t worry, no one will know!
The second tip put the baking dish in the fridge to let the first 2 layers cool and firm up a little before adding the pudding.
Low Carb Details
I made this dessert to account for my personal limit on carbs during pregnancy which was 30 gr per snack. Every one’s body is different, so if you are under a diabetes management diet, you can adjust the number of servings in this recipe to fit your needs.
I chose to use powdered sugar because I was pregnant and my doctor told me there were no studies on the safety of artificial sweeteners on pregnancy. If that is not a concern for you, then you can lower the carbs even further by using your preferred sweetener.
Lastly, when eating low carb, look at the labels closely, a sugar-free cool whip has more carbs than the original version.
Enjoy this delish Low Carb Chocolate Delight !
Low Carb Chocolate Delight
- Pie Dish
- 1 cup almond meal flour
- 1/2 cup of melted salted butter
- 2 cups chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts work best)
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 16 oz Original Cool Whip softened
- 2 boxes of instant sugar-free chocolate pudding
- 4 cups of cold skim milk
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Combine almond flour, melted butter and 1.5 cups of the chopped nuts in a deep baking pie pan.
- Bake it for 20 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden brown. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Using a mixer, combine the cream cheese, sugar and half or the cool whip. Beat it on low until smooth. Layer this mixture on top on the baked crust and smooth it out.
- In a large bowl, combine cold milk and pudding mix. Whisk it for 2 minutes or follow directions on the box. Let it set for 5 minutes. Once it is set, pour it over the cream cheese mixture. This is the 3 layer.
- Cover the pudding with dollops of cool whip and smooth it over. Top it off with the remaining 1/2 cup of chopped nuts.
Other Low Carb Recipes You Might Enjoy!
You might also enjoy this post : Healthy Snacks On the Go.
What recipe should I make next?