This low carb pie crust is the perfect base for quiches. All the flavor with a lot less carbs, making it ideal for a healthy brunch!
Eating low carb sometimes can become repetitive and eventually I always end up craving comfort foods like bread, pasta and a great pie!
That is when I try to make things that I would usually eat, but modify it to be low carb.
This week I was really craving quiche and so I used this low carb pie crust as a base for it- because let’s face it a crustless quiche is a frittata not a quiche!
With a few ingredients, a food processor and a few minutes to form it into the pie pan, it was ready to bake and be filled with the most wonderful ingredients.
Low Carb Pie Crust
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse it until well mixed.
- Place it in a pie dish and press it with your fingers until the crust is evenly distributed.
- Use a fork to make holes on the bottom.
- Bake it for 15 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
What you should know
- It does burn more easily, so if you are using it to make a quiche for example, you might want to underbake it for a few minutes or cover the edges when baking the quiche.
- I could still taste the coconut flour, so if you are not a fan, opt for using all almond flour.
- You can add spices or more cheese to the crust to make it even more savory- some ideas: rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, parmesan, etc…
- Although the pie crust can be formed into a ball, it’s not necessary to roll it out. Just use your fingers and press it to the bottom of the pie dish and it will be fine.
What can you use this pie crust for?
The possibilities are endless- quiche, chicken pot pie, mushroom tart, a tomato pie (not so low carb), etc…
If you make this Low Carb Pie Crust recipe, be sure tag me on Instagram and share your photo with hashtag #GLXrecipes. I’d love to see what you create!
What recipe should I make next?
For more recipes, click here.