You will love how quick and easy this Taco Soup recipe is. Ready in 30 minutes on the stove top and full of flavor! Make it with beef, chicken or turkey – it’s a great addition to your fall and winter menu.
Taco Tuesdays are a still a thing in my house, but lately I’ve been craving soup. It must be the weather we’ve been having or the fact that we have already gone through one round of the sniffles for the season.
Soup just screams comfort food, doesn’t it? My grandfather’s chicken soup still brings me back to childhood and no one seems to make it like he does.
So anytime the weather gets chilly, one of us gets sick or it’s just one of those days I just feel like wrapping myself in a blanket and binge watching movies on TV, I make soup.
How to Make Taco Soup
This taco soup recipe hits all the requirements to become a staple in your fall or winter menu. It’s bold in flavor and spice and super versatile. You can make it with virtually any meat you have (chicken, beef, turkey) and staple ingredients in any pantry like beans, frozen corn and taco seasoning.
Serve it with your favorite toppings and everyone will love this variation of Taco Tuesday!
This version is made with ground turkey, but can be made with shredded turkey if you have any holiday leftovers!
Taco Soup Recipe
- 5 tbsps of homemade taco seasoning (or 1 packet store bought seasoning)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion cut small
- 1.5 lbs lean ground turkey (or other ground meat)
- 30 oz black beans drained (2 cans)
- 14.5 oz crushed tomatoes (1 can)
- 12 oz fresh, frozen or canned corn
- 3.5 oz mild canned green chiles (1/2 small can)
- 4-6 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 cups heavy cream (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste (the taco seasoning already contains salt and pepper)
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- corn tortilla chips
- lime slices
- Add the oil, onions and garlic to a soup pan. Cook at medium high heat until soft.
- Add the turkey meat and cook until it's no longer pink.
- Add the taco seasoning and coat the meat well.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, beans, green chiles and corn and mix well.
- Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10-20 mins or until desired thickness. Add more broth if needed.
- OPTIONAL: If you want the creamy version – add heavy cream at the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- I made it with ground Turkey, but you can make it with ground or shredded beef, chicken, pork or turkey. I would just change the broth to beef if you choose to use that meat.
- Also you can serve it as a broth soup or creamy, by adding heavy cream. I actually prefer the second option better. It cuts down some of the heat and it’s feels more filling.
- The toppings are up to you, but I like them all in the broth version. On the creamy version, you might only want chips, cheese and cilantro.
You can also change this turkey taco soup recipe by making it creamy instead of broth based. I like the creamy version the best, but my husband prefers the broth base better.
This is the beauty of this taco soup recipe. You can easily adapt it for the different tastes in the family. I just added a dash of heavy cream to my bowl before eating it. I really love how rich it makes the soup and it cuts down on the spiciness level too.
Frequent Questions About Taco Soup
How can I make it low carb and keto friendly?
If you are on a low carb or keto diet (under 20 g net carbs a day), then take out the beans, corn and onions and add other low carb veggies. The creamy version with cheese and avocado will help with fat macros.
Can I make it ahead of time?
Absolutely. This recipe can be frozen before or after cooking and makes for a great freezer meal or meal prep staple.
Can I make it in the crock pot or instant pot?
Yes! It’s very quick to make it on the stove top (30 minutes), but if you have a busy day, just cook it for 6-8 hrs on low on the slow cooker or in 15-20 minutes in the Instant Pot.
What recipe should I make next?