I never knew how much I love steak and potatoes until I married my Irish husband.
Now, we eat it at least once a week in different forms and one of my favorite recipes is this Steak Diane. It’s cheaper and easier than the original version, makes less of a mess and can be thrown in the slow cooker and left alone. At the end of the day, it looks like I Julia Childed the best dinner and yet, I didn’t even get my hands dirty. Hooray!
This Steak Diane recipe is made with stew meat instead of sirloin, making it super affordable and a great way to serve a fancy dinner to a crowd. And before you turn your nose at it, let me tell you that I can make a mean filet mignon on a cast iron skillet and yet this Steak Diane can be just as good.
Throw in some roasted or mashed potatoes, some green beans and you got a great meal! The rich creamy texture of the sauce, the tenderness of the meat and the chunks of mushroom will make you reach for seconds, or thirds! But hey, it’s just too good to pass up.
There are only two tricks to this recipe. 1) Brown the meat to lock in the juices before putting it the slow cooker and 2) don’t add the heavy cream until the end. Dairy can separate and look like a mess when cooked for too long and we don’t want anything to mess this beauty up, do we?
This recipe is part of my slow cooker, freezer meals routine, so it can feed 9 people or make 3 freezer meals for 3 people each. If you would like another amount just change the servings in the recipe box and it will adjust the quantities for you.
If you try this recipe, please share it on Instagram by tagging me @glxplorerbaby. I would love to see how yours turn out!
For other recipes, click here. If you would like to be notified when new recipes are added on the blog, subscribe to the blog (e-mail box on the right of the post) and don’t forget to pin it this recipe for later!
- 24 oz Portabella Mushrooms sliced thick
- 4 lbs Beef Stew Meat
- 3 cups yellow onions chopped (about 3 medium onions)
- 3 tablespoons pureed garlic (about 12-18 cloves)
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- vegetable oil
- In a skillet or griddle, in medium high heat, add some vegetable oil and brown the meat.
- Add the mushrooms, onions, garlic, dijon mustard, salt and pepper in the slow cooker and stir. Add the meat.
- Cook for 8 hrs on low or 4 hrs on high.
- One hour before it's done, add the heavy cream and parsley and stir.
- Serve with potatoes and veggies or over pasta/rice.