Looking for an easy soup recipe for a cold day? Here is my hearty turkey bean soup. It’s easy, filling and nutritious.
Fall is here!!!! I am so excited for cooler temperatures, pretty foliage, fall decorations, and of course pumpkin spice.
I used to be a summer girl, but now I appreciate fall like I’d never done before. It’s when I feel the most like being at home, preparing for the hibernation and celebrations of the end of the year.
I also start craving warm, rich, comfort foods. Soups, stews, and pies!
We recently had snow in Colorado and the below freezing temperatures called for a hearty turkey bean soup to warm us up.
I didn’t want to leave the house – I was in pjs all day, drinking hot tea, snuggling with my little one on the couch, and getting caught up on my favorite shows on Netflix…who wants to brave the crowds at the supermarket when it’s this good at home, right?
So, I had to improvise and use what I had in hand in my pantry and fridge. This Turkey Bean Soup turned out surprisingly delicious! So much so, that instead of freezing left overs, we actually went through the whole batch in a couple days!
Being such a winner, I had to share it with you. I used veggies I had in the fridge, so I think you can improvise as well depending on what you have at hand.
I love cooking soup with ground turkey. It doesn’t taste as rich as ground beef, but still adds good texture. It is specially nice in soup since it is leaner than other proteins.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and let me know if you come up with other variations!
For more easy recipes, click here.
What is your favorite fall soup? And what are you looking forward to this season?
Hearty Turkey Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 3 large potatoes cubbed
- 3 carrots diced
- 3 quarts organic chicken stock
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Whole Grains and Beans Soup Mix
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Chop onion, garlic, potatoes and carrots.
- Heat olive oil in a soup pan in medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add ground turkey and cook it until it starts browning.
- Add potatoes and carrots and cook for a couple minutes. Add salt and other seasoning.
- Add chicken stock and dried soup mix. Stir and cover. Bring it to a boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Cook it covered for 2.5 hrs, stirring every once in a while to keep it from sticking on the bottom. Cook until the beans are tender.
- *For a chilly consistency, reduce stock to 2 quarts.