Carrot and Applesauce Muffins
Servings: 12 muffins
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cups agave nectar
- 8 oz unsweetened organic apple sauce
- 3 cups chopped carrots
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
Line a muffin pan with parchment cups.
In a blender combine all ingredients- start with the wet ingredients so the dry doesn't stick to the bottom.
Blend it until smooth and pour the mixture into the muffin cups. The consistency should be thick, but runny enough to be poured with minimal effort.
Bake it for 25-30 mins or until a toothpick is inserted in the middle and comes out clean.
- You can use 1 whole egg or 2 egg whites. I use egg whites because it has all the protein and none of the fat and cholesterol.
- You can use honey, agave nectar, sugar or sugar substitute (for even less carbs). I don't like things to be very sweet, so I only use 1/3 cup of agave. If you like it sweeter, increase the amount. Try the batter for desired sweetness before adding the eggs.
- To make it gluten free just use all oat flour. I used a mix to give it more body. The oat flour tends to make it more gooey. You can also use all purpose flour if you want a more muffin consistency.
Calories: 123kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 286mg | Potassium: 154mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 5351IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg